Oatmeal is always such an easy go-to for me. It takes around 5 minutes and there’s very little clean-up. I’m all about simplicity in the mornings 🙂 And even though it’s the summer time now and LA is currently going through a heatwave, there is something about a warm, creamy bowl of oatmeal that really excites me in the morning 😀 When it’s just plain oatmeal, it can be a bit bland for me but that’s why I love experimenting with different add-ons.
Include protein and fiber into your meal
It’s important to have each meal be as balanced as possible, so why not include some protein and additional fiber into the oatmeal. One tablespoon of chia seeds has 2.5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. The average person has only 10g of fiber in their diet, when the daily suggested amount is 25g.
Nuts are also an excellent way to include some additional protein into your meal. Protein will satiate any hunger you feel and it is also essential to building bone and muscle health. I love adding a trail mix type of mixture with walnuts, cashews, raisins, and more. I actually have a homemade trail mix in my freezer at all times. It’s such a good add-on into meals like this or it can be good to eat as a snack! Alternatively or in addition, you can also include a spoonful of your favorite nut butter into your oatmeal.
- 1 cup of rolled oats (choose any of your liking)
- 2 cups of almond milk (or another milk of your choice - I enjoy the nuttiness of almond milk)
- 1 tsp honey
- Handful of nuts
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Over medium heat bring the almond milk to a boil
- Slowly pour the oats into the almond milk and simmer on low heat
- Stir to avoid any clumps
- Once the oats are at a low boil, cook for another 1-2 minutes or follow the directions of your oats
- By this point, the consistency of your oatmeal should be a bit watery. Turn off the heat and let sit with the lid on the pot, for another minute. This will thicken the consistency.
- Spread the honey over the oatmeal and mix in, and top your oatmeal with the seeds, nuts, and fruit.