Lately with the weather more finicky here in LA, I’ve been leaning on more soup recipes, like this immune boosting carrot turmeric ginger soup. It has dropped to 40 degrees some nights (which is cold for us!) so I’ve really been wanting to eat more soothing foods that will keep me warm. Not only does it feel good to eat but it also IS good to eat. Carrots, turmeric and ginger are some of the most immune-boosting foods we can consume, so I thought why not combine them all together – along with a surprise ingredient to make this a super pack of immunity.
With all of my latest health troubles, having a strong immune system is very important to me. Carrots, one of the main stars in this recipe, are high in beta-carotene and other antioxidants. Antioxidants essentially help our bodies fight cell damage and inflammation. The vitamin C that is in carrots also provides your immune system with a boost that can help fight off a cold or flu.
Also, further than that – carrots are great for heart health! There have been studies done to show that carrots are the single most risk-reducing food. Participants in the study that had the least amount of carrot intake, had the lead amount of cardiovascular disease risk reduction. The participants who ate at least 25 more grams of carrots had lower risk. The participants that consumed 50-75 grams more carrots had an even greater reduction!
Turmeric which is such a super food, in my opinion, is not only incredible for anti-inflammatory properties (due to its curcumin), it also stimulates the body’s immune system (thanks to the lipopolysaccharides). The other secret but not-so-secret ingredient I like to include in this soup is orange juice. When you get a cold or feel a cold coming on, everyone always suggests taking vitamin C and that’s because it’s so good for maintaining a healthy immune system. You could include orange juice from the store but I like to squeeze fresh oranges into this recipe.
Carrot Turmeric Soup
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large white or yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger root minced
- 4-5 medium-large size carrots cut into 2" chunks
- 1-1.5 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 quart vegetable broth plus 1-2 cups as needed for consistency
- 2 small oranges juiced
- Pinch of black pepper salt
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Cook the onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots, turmeric, and ginger and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add a quart of broth and orange juice.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the black pepper and salt to taste.
- Using a blender, puree the soup until very smooth.
- Add extra broth or liquid as needed to reach the consistency you prefer.