The past few months I have been doing my best to transition into a more plant-based diet. It’s been easier on my stomach, plus it’s more nutritious and healthier for my overall well-being. At first, I thought it would be hard to make the transition but it’s surprisingly been so easy to do since there are so many non-dairy and non-meat alternatives.
I’m happy to partner with Daiya for this post to share with you a completely plant-based pizza recipe! If you haven’t heard of Daiya, they are actually one of the first brands to really adopt the plant-based food movement. The brand is really demonstrating what this style of eating can look like—you no longer need to sacrifice your comfort food favorites and feel like you’re missing out on anything at your next pizza night! I personally limit my meat/dairy intake and Daiya is honestly making it so easy to transition to more plant-based eating. They have a ton of better-for-you versions of comfort food. At Expo West earlier this month, they gave a sneak peek of their new breakfast burritos and I got to try their Homestyle Breakfast Burrito that has an egg-style scramble with meatless beef-style crumbles, seasoned potatoes, maple syrup and their Cutting Board Cheddar Style Shreds —SO GOOD. I also love that they’re a brand that delivers dairy, gluten and soy-free foods which is perfect as I’m currently also trying to limit my intake of gluten as well.
For this recipe, I opted for the Daiya Mozzarella Cutting Board Shreds in mozzarella because it melts just like a dairy-based cheese would. I love that this shred is non-GMO as well.
Ok, on to the recipe!
- For the crust:
- 1 cup riced cauliflower (use purple cauliflower to change the color!)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp gluten free oat flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tsp spirulina (optional to make the crust a different color!)
- For the toppings:
- Daiya Cutting Board Mozzarella Style Shredded Cheese
- Any veggies you would like!
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees.
- Mix together the chia seeds and water.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes until it thickens. Chia and water together will act like an “egg” and bind together the mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, flours, yeast, herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Add in the chia seed mixture until combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Divide the mixture into thirds and flatten out into a pizza shape.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. No need to flip over the crust to cook.
- Top the crust with Daiya mozzarella shreds and any other pizza toppings you like! I used marinara sauce, and roasted butternut squash for my bases and then added mushrooms, zucchini, onions, and anything else I had on hand!
- Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes with all the toppings to warm it all through.