Being open can sometimes be one of the scariest things. You venture out into the unknown, unaware of what is to come your way. However, you can reap so many benefits to living life with an open heart. I’m no expert, but as a strong believer and practitioner of being open to possibilities, these are some reminders that have helped me realize that being open is the key to living a happy, interesting, more fulfilling life.
- Your world becomes that much bigger – When you walk through life with your daily routine and are inflexible to venturing off of the familiar, your life becomes linear. One question I very consciously and frequently ask myself is, “In a week from now, or a month from now, will I regret this?” When you ask yourself questions like this, it helps you re-examine your life and the decisions you make. Will you regret not going to try out that workout class by yourself? Will you regret not going to that event? It really helps put everything into perspective. By saying “yes” to situations you normally wouldn’t, you are experiencing the new and interesting, that will stimulate your mind and heart.
- You have fun! – I was looking at my calendar the other day and saw how busy I am! I would say half of the social engagements that I have booked are now fitness related with a lot of girls I’ve met through Instagram. I genuinely love that I get to meet new people through social media and we get to explore the city and try out various healthy activities together. The #girlgang on Instagram is big and there is always room for more! I’ve gone to fitness expos, gym openings, women-focused fitness meetups and have had so much fun in doing so! It all started with being open to new experiences and meeting new people. Post-schooling, it can be hard to meet other people, but by involving yourself in the community around you, it isn’t quite as hard. 🙂
- You receive more love and support – You meet strangers on a daily basis but probably don’t get to converse with them and get to know who they really are. Being open to new friendships has been especially vital to my sanity. If I am having a particularly shitty day or am down in the dumps, I know who I can turn to. The love, support, and understanding I have felt through new healthy friendships has been so heart-warming. Not to say I didn’t receive this type of support from existing friends, but because I was open enough to explore new friendships, the deepening of love in my heart has been just that much stronger. At the end of the day, social media outlets like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc all exist because we all want to feel connected with each other. Don’t be afraid to reach out to someone, even if you have never met them in real life!
- You have more ideas and energy for life – By opening yourself up to new friendships and conversations, you get to understand people’s ambitions and passions in life. Sharing ideas and collaborating can feel so invigorating. You can talk about things that actually matter to you. You can talk about similar interests, similar life goals – who knows, you can plot how to take over the world together 😛
- You progress will evolve into the person you are meant to be – Without exploring other avenues of life you may not have been open to in the past, you never know where your path could lead you. I started off my adult life with a B.S. in Biological Sciences, looking to apply to pharmacy school, because that was expected of me. I decided to take a sharp left turn to work as a Personal Assistant to a couple Hollywood types – because I thought “Why not?”. The entertainment world was not for me but it was something I had been curious about previously. I never would have known what the industry was truly like until I took a leap of faith and tried it out. Now, at the very least, I’ve stayed in touch with some people from that previous life and also have some fun stories 🙂 Since then, I’ve taken a few paths off of what my life “plan” was and have found myself here – writing in a blog about how to live a more fulfilling life. I never would have thought this would give me so much joy. Now I know that empowering others into feeling HAPPY is a goal of mine.
Bottom line, if you aren’t open you don’t know where your life’s potential could truly take you. I would love to hear about something you may be scared to do but know that you are open, or willing, to try!