If we’re not intentional with the joy that is in our lives, we can go days, months, or even years without realizing that we haven’t incorporated this pure state of being. Joy is getting to the core of who you are. Being joyful is about aligning your thoughts and actions with your truest state.
Sometimes it’s hard to find the time and the space for that pure state of letting go and just being. It can not only be hard but maybe you don’t even know what that could look like for you. Once we become adults it can be difficult to remember the essence of what we may have been like before life’s stressors consumed our lives. Below is a list of 100 ways you can add more joy into your life.
Be in the now
Often times we can be stuck in the “When I…” thoughts. When I lose weight, When I make more money, When I have more – this always has us striving for a constant state of feeling unfulfilled because we aren’t there yet. But if we focus on the now we realize we have all we need in this very moment.
We can forget what we have if we don’t remind ourselves of it daily. Much like being in the now, if we’re constantly looking at what we don’t have yet, this doesn’t let us focus on what is in our lives. If you’re unfamiliar with how to gratitude journal, here is a post on how you can incorporate gratitude into your life on a consistent basis.
Create a DIMPLE list
List out all the things, activities, moments that bring you happiness. Keeping it in an easily accessible place for you can be helpful, especially during times of stress.
Be in service to others
One of the purest ways to gain perspective and to get back to our roots as loving people is to give to others who need our support. Generosity of energy and resources is the most undervalued trait we all possess. I have a blog post on some of the non profit organizations that have truly touched me if you are looking for ways to give back.
Meet others where they are and without expectation
When we have expectations on ourselves and on others, we more often than not, are let down. This is one I struggle with but I know that when I release expectations on others, I can appreciate the words and actions they express for what they are, not for what I think they should be.
Let go of what no longer supports you
This can be a relationship, the clutter in your home, the clothes you don’t wear. Release what does not serve you joy and rather depletes you of your limited resources and energy.
Play like a child
Children are joyful because they play. They don’t care about judgement from others, they say what’s on their mind, they let go. Dance silly in the park, run around without a care, look at children and see how they incorporate joy and see how you can do the same in your day.
Get out in nature
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in such a mood but then doing something as little as walking outside, getting out of the house, breathing in fresh air, has helped me reconnect with a bit more joy.
Spend time with your animals
Dogs are human’s best friend for a reason. They have the ability to love you unconditionally. They don’t judge you, care about how much money you make, what kind of home you have. There are in fact several rescue organizations where you can find the animal for you.
I’ve recently had so many conversations with people who have said they stopped reading books. They’ve been consuming their minds with podcasts, blogs, or articles online. But I have to say there is something so wonderful about losing yourself in a good book that is interesting to you. I’m going to be writing a blog post soon about all the books I love!
12. Sing karaoke in your car/shower.
13. Pay a compliment to a stranger. Watch the joy on this person’s face!
14. Create a playlist of songs that make you feel good!
15. Let the people you love in your lives, know that you appreciate them.
16. Move your body. (This might be a hard one if you are not into fitness, but if you can get yourself to unblock that mental barrier, it will make you feel amazing. Here’s a blog post on how to get started with a fitness journey)
17. Turn your errands or the mundane in your life into an adventure or a challenge. (See if you can complete your errands in 1 hour or add a little dance move as you go down the grocery store aisles. Find a way to infuse fun into the every day)
18. Take a nap.
19. Discover a new product. Do you like shopping or a smell? Go explore/browse (you don’t necessarily have to buy!) and find a new scent you love, a new bag from a designer you like, etc)
20. With your favorite beverage of choice, watch a sunset or sunrise.
21. Create art in whatever form speaks to you.
22. Bake or cook a new recipe.
23. Take a bath, light some candles, set a vibe for yourself.
24. Enjoy silence and being still. If it’s uncomfortable, it means you might need it most 😉
25. Take a road trip.
26. Learn to deal with your problems. Instead of sweeping them under the wrong, deal with them head on. Once you work through a solution, you’ll be able to let go of it and there is joy in that!
27. Get organized. The more organized you are, the less stress you will have.
28. Watch your favorite movie.
29. Turn to your faith.
30. Create joyful memories/reminders in all areas of your home. Perhaps it’s a color, a piece of art, a post it with a quote you love – whatever it is, leave it by your bed, in the kitchen, in the bathroom (where ever you spend time) and it can serve as a wonderful reminder to you to bring more joy into your thoughts.
31. Phone a friend.
32. Disconnect from technology.
33. Actively remind yourself you need more joy in your day. And you will seek it more.
34. Add more self-care into your life.
35. Appreciate the “small things” – the flowers blooming, getting your taxes done lol, a new restaurant opening in your neighborhood, etc.
36. Surround yourself with joyful people.
37. Laugh more. It’s ok to laugh.
38. Love more.
39. Plan your joy. Book upcoming trips, a meeting time with a friend, a concert for your favorite music artist.
41. Play with kids.
42. Meal prep. This can reduce stress throughout your week! See some simple tips on how to meal prep for a beginner.
43. Pick up a new hobby you’ve always wanted to.
44. Create a financial plan to think about your future.
45. Forgive yourself. Forgive others.
46. Make yourself a priority.
47. Remove busyness in your life.
48. Memorize what joy feels like in your body to go back to these memories when you need them.
49. Add spontaneity into your life. I went on a trip to Chicago very last minute and have the best memories from that trip!
50. Appreciate yourself for all that you are.
51. Explore what you love to do and incorporate more of it into your life, by way of profession or consistent hobby.
52. Be flexible with your thoughts; your time.
53. Practice moderation. Overindulgence of all things can lead to stress and anxiety.
54. Spark meaningful (or silly!) conversation.
55. Add more of the arts into your life.
56. Smile, just because!
57. Have goals, not a to-do list.
58. Play a board game.
59. Take a mini break in the middle of the day, just for yourself.
60. Watch a comedy show.
61. Get fresh linen.
62. Wear an outfit that makes you feel amazing!
63. Look through old photos of happy memories.
64. Treat your skin nicely with a facial, mask, and a 500 step skincare regimen because you’re worth it!
65. Get fresh flowers in your home.
66. Try something new! Expand your limits.
67. Take your lunch break outside of the office.
68. Play the cloud game (look up at the clouds and look for different images)
69. Plan a picnic in the park.
70. Make plans for a fun weekend ahead.
71. Be kind to others.
72. Go to a farmer’s market.
73. Take photos of what you love and create a photo album on your phone.
74. Make someone else laugh.
75. Create a compliment list when someone pays you a compliment or does something nice for you.
76. Hug someone.
77. Use your strengths to teach others.
78. Don’t be a perfectionist or maximizer. If you tried, that’s good enough.
79. Give yourself grace and room to breathe.
80. Realize it’s never the right time and just DO.
81. Lessen gossip and negative talk in your conversations.
82. Be early to appointments.
83. Do more as a “we” not a “me” – experiences become rich with a different type of joy when experienced with someone.
84. Get plants.
85. Add uplifting essential oils into your environment.
86. Eat chocolate.
87. Make more friends to get fresh perspectives and add more paths to joy.
88. Do something totally different as your career! You can always go back to your previous career but if you’re feeling bored, maybe consider switching things up 🙂
89. Show your personality through your home or your attire. This way any time you look at yourself in the mirror or step foot into your home, you can be reminded by who you are.
90. Make your bedroom a luxury retreat with all the things that make you relax.
91. Crying to release difficult emotions and make space for more lightness.
92. Fluffy pillows.
93. A massage.
95. A warm blanket to cuddle up in.
96. Planting seeds/starting a garden.
97. Earthing. Walking barefoot to connect with nature – sand on the beach, ocean water, grass.
98. Scheduling a date with yourself.
99. Smell of freshly baked dessert you love.
100. Pay it forward with a kind gesture.’
Though we added 100 ways to add more joy into your life, are we missing any? Let us know in the comments below.